Please exercise caution when bicycling after Hurricane Sandy, as damage to the City’s bicycling infrastructure is still being assessed. The Coney Island and Rockaway Boardwalks were significantly damaged and will likely remain out of service for several months. I’ve also heard reports of significant damage to the Shore Parkway Bike Path near the Verrazano-Narrows Bridge.
Bicycling Magazine has some helpful advice on riding in the aftermath of the storm:
- Lower your tire pressure.
- Drop your saddle by a centimeter or two.
- Avoid all fallen tree branches.
- Try to bypass puddles, even familiar ones.
- Be smart about crossing moving water.
- Expect street users to behave erratically.
- Drain your bike when you’re done.
- Above all, stay safe and don’t break the rules